Acoustic Hollow Body Archtop with cutaway
Spruce top, Maple back, sides and neck
The first series of guitars was manufactured by Anastasios Stathopoulos in 1928, which he sold under the Epiphone label (a combination of his nickname ‘Epi’ and the Greek word for sound ‘phone’). The model D had maple back and sides one with hand-cut flat spruce top. The maple neck had a V-profile and the fingerboard was inlaid with ebony. The head was inlaid with mother-of-pearl and had six banjo-like tuning screws.
These guitars, like the other models in the Recording series from A to E, were not as big as the L5 and were therefore less popular. Production of this series ceased three years later and the first Epiphone Masterbilts were built: jazz musicians soon discovered the Emperor and Deluxe models, now expensive collectables.