Acoustic Hollow Body Flattop
Mahogany body and neck
From 1951 a Gibson-P-90 pickup was added
The Gibson CF-100 came on the market in 1950 as a purely acoustic instrument. The elements were not added to the model until 1951.
Although not very well known, the electro-acoustic model is an important part of the guitar’s 3712history. That’s because it’s the first acoustic guitar with a built-in pickup (a Gibson-P-90) with adjustable magnetic poles at the end of the fretboard. This allowed the sound hole to be moved further to the bridge, and the volume and tone controls were located on top of the body. Furthermore, the guitar had a “Florentine” cutaway which allowed the guitarist to reach the highest frets.
The relatively small (37cm/14.5 inches) mahogany body of the Gibson CF-100 had a depth of 12cm/4.7inches and a spruce top with a scalloped X-bracings. The fretboard consisted of nineteen frets and was made of Brazilian rosewood. It was one of the first Gibsons to have the trapezoidal inlays that the Les Paul Standard guitars also had.
The guitar was taken out of production in 1958 and is a real collector’s item.